Watching US policy the last few months – with the triumph and travails of the Green New Deal, the mixed messages from 2020 Presidential candidates, the #FakeTrumpEmergency, and more, I’m left with an inescapable conclusion: Politicians and corporations wont save us from the climate crisis. But we might be able to save each other.
Which is why I was excited to see our old friends at Rising Tide North America are going on a U.S. tour with radical climate justice group Ende Gelände. Together, they’ll share stories from Germany’s wildly successful mass mobilizations and talk about how we in the US can mobilize the numbers to truly stop the fossil fuel industry, topple the systems that let it run amuck, and create truly decentralized and democratized energy systems.
Will you join us? The tour is on the West Coast through early March, and then on the East Coast and through midwestern coal fields until April. Click here to find out when the tour stops near you and stay in the loop!
Last fall, Ende Gelände organized 6,000 people to block an active coal mine and 82 simultaneous tree sits to protect a forest from being bulldozed.
Demonstrators invaded mining pits, danced in front of the diggers, slept on the railways, and made the connection between climate chaos and capitalism.
To do that here in the US, Rising Tide (and lots of us) believe we need to build a grassroots movement that uses direct action to bring down the fossil fuel industry and demand a just transition to clean and democratic energy systems.
We also need to confront false solutions like carbon trading; build international solidarity; use local and municipal power; and take leadership from those hit first and worst by pollution and climate catastrophes.
- February 21: Portland, Oregon, Facebook event
- February 22: Seattle, Washington, Facebook event
- February 26: Olympia, Washington, Facebook event
- February 28: Portland, Oregon, Facebook event
- March 1&2: Eugene, Oregon, Facebook event
- March 5: Grants Pass, Oregon, Facebook event
- March 8 (afternoon): San Francisco, California RSVP page
- March 8 (evening): San Francisco, California Facebook event
- March 13: San Luis Obispo, California
- March TBD: Los Angeles, California
More West Coast dates and locations coming soon….!
East Coast/Appalachia/Midwest: March 6 – April 2
- March 7th (afternoon): Boston, Massachusetts RSVP Page
- March 7th (evening): Boston, Massachusetts Event Page
- March 12th: Brooklyn, New York
- March 13th: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- March 16: Baltimore, Maryland, Facebook event
- March 17th: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- March 18th: Charleston, West Virginia
- March 23rd: Blacksburg, Virginia
- March 24th: Charlottesville, Virginia
- TBA: Eastern Kentucky
- March 26th: St Louis, Missouri
- TBA: Minneapolis, Minnesota