If you’re one of more than 25,000 people who signed on to block McNamee -THANK YOU. Together with allies we’ve already delivered your signature and lobbied every member of the committee to vote no. And thanks to you we’ve got a chance to stop the nomination: But we have to act fast.
Every day, new corruption and malfeasance about McNamee emerges – the kind of scandals and abuses of power that could convince Senators to block him.
McNamee’s only chance to get confirmed is if nobody notices or asks questions. So we need your help to make sure that doesn’t happen. Can you make a call or send a tweet (they answer them like calls) to members of the Senate Natural Resources Commitee before the hearing tomorrow morning?
Here’s who to call and how:
- Click the link to see a list of all the Senators on the committee and their contact info.
- If you have a Senator on the committee, call them first, but don’t worry if your Senator isn’t on the list.
- Call as many Senators on this list as you can.
- Start with the Chair, Lisa Murkowski and the Ranking member, Maria Cantwell.
- Next, we suggest prioritizing these Senators, who have voted to block FERC nominees in the past: Sanders, Hirono, Duckworth, Heinrich, Cortez-Masto
- What to say: These can be quick calls there are two basic points you need to make:
- Bernard McNamee is a dangerous nominee – he’s corrupt, unqualified, a climate-denier and part of Trump’s plan to force ratepayers to bail out coal and nuclear power. His nomination should be withdrawn and this committee hearing canceled.
- If the hearing proceeds, Senators MUST vote NO on his nomination, and must ensure that all votes are recorded. No unanimous consent or procedural gimmicks (that’s how we got the last three Republican FERC commissioners).
- That’s it! If you have another minute (or while you’re on hold) and you use twitter, it’s also a great idea to tweet at these committee members and make sure they get the message. Karen added all the twitter addresses to that list, or just click here to quickly retweet.
If you’re looking for more info, our team has published a ton of detailed explainers over the last few weeks, check them out below. A quick recap is that Donald Trump nominated Bernard McNamee to be the next commissioner at the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) because he passed a ‘litmus test’ by swearing allegiance to fossil fuels and nuclear power.
McNamee isn’t qualified, heck he doesn’t even admit climate change is a real and urgent threat. But that doesn’t matter to Trump and team — they see McNamee as a perfect crony — someone they can install at FERC who will help them ram through subsidies for coal and nuclear power too extreme for most Republicans.
There’s a trail of corruption leading from now-chair-again Neal Chaterjee, to his hand-picked FERC chief of staff, Anthony Pugliese, right to McNamee.3
McNamee’s nomination is obviously be part of a plan to ram through more fossil fuels. And FERC’s Republican majority is clearly complicit. But we can stop them if we make calls today, and Senators get serious at the hearing tomorrow. I’ll be there to do everything I can to make sure they do – now I need you to make a call to back me up.