One year ago, fossil fueled fascists descended on DC to try and overturn a free and fair election: They stormed the Capitol, attempted to hunt down members of Congress and tried to steal the presidency for Donald Trump.
They failed on Jan 6, 2021, but that wasn’t the end of it.
As we’ve talked about elsewhere, the coup never stopped and the same people behind the Jan 6 2021 attack on democracy are planning another series of rallies this week. Trump will speak from his compound in Florida, but other groups are planning to rally at the DC jail, where about 40 of the insurrectionists arrested for storming the US Capitol are held. Elsewhere in the city there will be vigils and voter registration events to show peaceful solidarity with voting rights and democracy.
In the days leading up to January 6th, we’re going to plaster the areas around DC with posters, banners and stickers reminding these fossil fueled fascists that hate has no place in our community, or the capitol of the United States. Can you help us show up and be seen —safely, without spreading pandemic— this week in and around Washington DC? Here are several ways to help:
- Download these posters and memes to print them yourself to wheat paste in your neighborhood, or share on social media (don’t forget local neighborhood facebook groups and group-chats if you’re in DC)!
- Have some free time between now and Jan 6? Use this map to match your favorite posters to the desired audience.
- Have ideas for additional graphics or posters? Design your own poster and share it with us – email poster designs to info@ShutDownDC.org
- Need some help getting started with wheat paste and postering? Check out this video, this recipe & instructions sheet;
Or Sign up here to join friends from Shut Down DC for a covid-safe, outdoor postering session! Today’s plans are delayed due to weather, but fill out the form and we’ll send you updates.
- On January 6th at 4:30pm, join ShutDownDC, 198 methods and dozens of other organizations on the National Mall for a candlelight vigil.
More from our friends at Shut Down DC:
A year ago, thousands of violent white supremacists descended on Washington DC with plans to overturn the 2020 election.
The evening of January 6th, the National Guard took back the Capitol and the House and Senate voted to certify the election results. More than 700 of those fascist thugs have now been charged criminally for their crimes, and about 41 are currently being held in DC’s Correctional Treatment Facility in Southeast DC.
Pundits on MAGA media and members of the insurrectionist caucus in Congress have called these scumbags political prisoners, attempting to downplay their violent actions. Over the summer Matt Gaetz and Marjorie Taylor Green attempted to hold a press conference to express their support (although that was easily thwarted by a handful of people with signs and a really loud whistle). And in September at least 3 dozen would-be insurrectionists showed their support at a “Justice for J6” rally at the Capitol.
Now, on the one-year anniversary of the failed insurrection supporters of this failed coup are planning on coming back to DC for a vigil at the DC Jail.
We’ve seen what happened when violent white supremacists are given space to organize in our city and we want them to know: FACISTS ARE NOT WELCOME IN DC.ShutDownDC.org
Want to learn more and sign up to support ShutDown DC’s actions this week? Click here to learn more and share the info.